Tuesday, September 15, 2009

September...Searching for Honey Crisp Apples!

Ask someone their favorite kind of apple... especially this time of the year and you'll hear them all ~ gala, macoun, pink lady, delicious, granny smith, macintosh, etc. I worked at a farm and people were very partial to the types of apples they bought...I thought they were crazy, to me a few stood out, but it was just not that important to me... until now. A few years ago someone introduced me to a Honey Crisp Apple... I've been hooked, so have my son and husband; when I bring them in the house they are gone in no time. I've been calling around to the local farm markets, no one has them yet... they all say "soon"... I hope so, it's just not September without apples... I found out that honey crisp apples were developed at the University of Minnesota. A honey crisp apple is a cross between macoun apple and honey gold apples and is extraordinarily crisp and juicy with a wonderful aroma and flavor! (Sounds funny to hear an apple "was developed") They are primarily grown in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Illinois...please ship them to NJ soon!

No comments: