Wednesday, April 1, 2009

All Fool's Day!

I love April Fools Day...it's just another "insignificant" feel good holiday that we can all have some fun with...
I was curious to the origin of it... there are many theories... some date back to the 1500's when the Gregorian Calendar was introduced when King Charles IX changed the new year from April 1 to January 1, some people stayed with April 1. Those who did were called "April Fools" and were taunted by their neighbors. Who knows really? Traditionally, in some countries, the jokes only last until noon: like UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa, someone who plays a trick after noon is called an "April Fool". Elsewhere, such as in Ireland, France, and the USA, the jokes last all day.
This morning my Mom reminded me of a "true" story... My Dad entered a contest to find all the products that were imported from Ireland and sold in all the stores in the Garden State Plaza, Paramus... he was determined to win...the prize was a free trip to Ireland. Apparently he won by a box of oatmeal... and the call came to inform them that they were winners was on April 1st... my Mom thought it was a prank and did not believe them! It was for real... this was 49 years ago, today!
Anyway... given the current climate and another morning of dreadful news (tax hikes, worm virus, economy, etc.)... have some fun today - I'm still thinking of who I can pull one over on...beware!

No comments: