Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thank a Coach... Thank a Teacher...

Last night, I was talking to my son and his girlfriend and they asked about my morning on the river... I told them it was the best to date... and the reason was we had someone new coaching us... I casually mentioned she was around their age, but she intrinsically knew how to instruct and was persistent until we got it accurate - all 4 of us in the boat commented on how terrific she was, etc. They casually asked me her name (which struck me funny as they don't know anyone)... I mentioned her first name (which is unusual) - they both knew her! She graduated high school with them and is now rowing on the Syracuse Rowing Team! They knew she rowed through high school... Kelsey said "Oh, can I tell her on facebook she was coaching you"... "of course...and tell her we all thought she was amazing". It lead the conversation to how some people have a gift to teach and instruct and not all intelligent and well informed teachers have the gift in being a "good teacher". We can all reflect on some terrible teachers... and the flip side on our "best teachers". I admire good teachers and always remember them. I'm "most proud" when I see a teacher recognized for being nominated by their students/co-teachers for their accomplishments - what could be a better reward! What I LOVE is when a teacher who is rewarded and nominated is honored, they are usually "very low key" and so humble about their status... Teaching is a gift... it is not something everyone can automatically do... I'm sure we all remember our teachers well... teachers, like coaches who are great at what they do should be thanked, recognized and encouraged to keep doing what they do so well...

1 comment:

Jack said...

This is a great post with a great sentiment. And for even more inspiration and perspective on the subject, I invite you and your readers to check out this brief video -- ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/4654 -- it's the story of one teacher's "aha moment" when her dedication and efforts were recognized by a former student in a very special way. I know you'll enjoy it and hope you check out the rest of the site as well, which was created by Mutual of Omaha to highlight good works, inspirational stories, and "aha moments" of all kinds.

Thanks,
jack@ahamoment.com