Saturday, July 18, 2009

Remembering Walter Cronkite...


1963 ~ I was in first grade, I remember it well, Sister Paul's class... Mother Joseph Eleanor walked into our room and told us all to pray, that our President was just shot... at 6 years old, it's hard to comprehend what that means. The next thing I remember... cars arriving at school and we were all sent home... my mother came to pick me up with my sister, she was so sad, very quiet and crying. When I arrived home my biggest memory was the news that was on... just continuously... covering this horrifying situation. Neighbors were over and everyone was staring at the TV... and who do I remember ... Walter Cronkite and his voice. Cronkite was the face of the "CBS Evening News" from 1962 to 1981, when stories ranged from the assassinations of President John F. Kennedy and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. to racial and anti-war riots, Watergate and the Iranian hostage crisis.
On a side bar... when Kennedy was assassinated, I asked my mother "will cartoons ever be on again"??
Walter Cronkite lived a long life, passing at 92 with his loving family at his side...He was a great broadcaster and a gentleman whose experience, honesty, professionalism and style defined the role of anchor and commentator, to many he will always be admired and remembered.

No comments: