Monday, November 23, 2009

Turnips... don't knock them if you haven't tried them!


You either love them or hate them. Growing up, I was in the "hate" them category... but it's just NOT Thanksgiving without them. Now, I absolutely love them, and will cook them throughout the fall and winter.  They're of Swedish origin, common in The British Isles... frequently (usually) referred to as "yellow turnip" or just "turnips".  Since commonly confused with "white turnips", the correct name is "rutabaga". They are hard to cut, but so easy to cook... just like boiled potatoes, cut up, peal and boil. I follow my mother's way, and her mother's way... put in 1 or 2 potatoes in with the cut up turnips while cooking.  My grandmother, who bought her fresh vegetables daily, always bought 2, one time she bought 1 and it was rotten or stringy inside... this way she had a back up. Grandma Cravin was NOT one to waste food and from modest means... but every time I pick one out to purchase, I always think of her... and I never buy just one!


Try them, a little bitter, but a distinguished flavor... delicious!

No comments: