Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ephesians 5... AND having FAITH!

Ephesians 5:21-5:33

I've heard this reading in Mass before, it's read close to every 3 years... I remember it well... I remember it ALWAYS bothering me and I revel in looking at couples to see their reaction... but I was happy to hear that their are 2 versions of this reading... and the 2nd one was read today. It's been on my mind since leaving Mass this morning... I can't tell you how encouraged I was to read that in August 2000, the Irish Catholic Church proposed dropping seven texts from a proposed new Lectionary because they "give an undesirably negative impression regarding women." The Irish Bishops' new Domestic Violence document recommended the following texts for deletion. The 2nd version was read today...it can't only be the Irish Bishops' who proposed this? I'm Irish, I'd think the Irish would be the LAST to grasp this!
I'm determined to find out more about this... I've been searching and not successful, I'll ask our Parish Pastor. If you happen to know "how" scripture can be changed, please share - it is revolutionary to me...quite puzzling, but very promising!

Reading II Eph 5:21 - 32 or 5:2a, 25-32
Brothers and sisters:Be subordinate to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives should be subordinate to their husbands as to the Lord.For the husband is head of his wife just as Christ is head of the church,he himself the savior of the body. As the church is subordinate to Christ,so wives should be subordinate to their husbands in everything.Husbands, love your wives,even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her to sanctify her,cleansing her by the bath of water with the word,that he might present to himself the church in splendor,without spot or wrinkle or any such thing,that she might be holy and without blemish. So also husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one hates his own flesh but rather nourishes and cherishes it, even as Christ does the church,because we are members of his body.For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother and be joined to his wife,and the two shall become one flesh.This is a great mystery,but I speak in reference to Christ and the church.
or
Brothers and sisters:Live in love, as Christ loved us. Husbands, love your wives,even as Christ loved the church and handed himself over for her to sanctify her,cleansing her by the bath of water with the word,that he might present to himself the church in splendor,without spot or wrinkle or any such thing,that she might be holy and without blemish. So also husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one hates his own flesh but rather nourishes and cherishes it, even as Christ does the church,because we are members of his body.For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother and be joined to his wife,and the two shall become one flesh. This is a great mystery,but I speak in reference to Christ and the church.
Hearing this second reading today at Mass gave me great...

2 comments:

Hannah Thomas said...

I'm confused. They want to change scripture for what reason?

Abusers use the submit part as a weapon I agree. Churches tend to push the women's role at times, and forget the fact the man has the bigger job in this.

Why not change the human approach to scripture? It sounds like that would make it easier, but is that what God would really want?

Why not confront those that misused scripture? Changing the way it is read will not change their sinful habit patterns. Isn't the what God would truly want?

CL said...

Wow, this is terrible! All this does is increase women's entitlement complex and leaves her unaccountable. You really think changing scripture to avoid offending women is a good thing?

Do you think Jesus would approve? Perhaps when He encounters the woman at the well we should have Him tell her "it's OK sweetie, just follow your heart." Is this absurd, or a logical conclusion to the reasoning behind this mangling of scripture?

This is why the Church is becoming irrelevant. It's offensive to me personally, as this is how I love. That there are some who will abuse doesn't change anything. Do you not think women are equally capable of abuse? With women in charge, it all falls apart.