Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Boys and Video Games!!!


I don't get it? Watching a room of 6 boys playing or watching the others play a video game...and they are 20 years old! There is always a new game... one to beat - a few years ago it was guitar hero, although that comes out now and again too. Maybe boys (of all ages) have more of an obsessive personality and can't put down the controls until they've won... In our house it's an all or nothing event - our son is obsessed until he wins.... or, there is dust collecting on the console! There are times I'm totally OK with it, then there are times when it's a beautiful day and these testosterone geeks are steering at a screen, and I want to flip!
I read that 62 percent of the console market and 66 percent of the PC market is age 18 or older. The game industry caters to adult tastes. Meanwhile, a sizable number of parents ignore game ratings because they assume that games are for kids. One quarter of children ages 11 to 16 identify an M-Rated (Mature Content) game as among their favorites. Historically, the video game market has been predominantly male. I admit, I've bent the rules on the ratings...I just did not believe my son would emulate the same violence in reality. I thought it was interesting to read that much video game play is social. Almost 60 percent of frequent gamers play with friends. Thirty-three percent play with siblings and 25 percent play with spouses or parents. Even games designed for single players are often played socially, with one person giving advice to another holding a joystick or controller. I thought it was interesting that one of the must haves in a dorm for the boys is their Sony Play Station, or another similar console! Having 1 child and having owned at least 5 game stations...I do hope we've bought our last one into the house!

1 comment:

Randi and Annie said...

I totally get this about boys. My son is the same way. In fact, he has made great friends online because he went from video games to computer games which are totally group play. He's in a "guild" and they have been playing for years now together. I can't even watch the games that he and Ed play together because sometimes they're too violent. But they are two very peaceful guys so maybe they get it out of their system through games. I do admit I have tried guitar hero but that's a fun game :)