Sunday, May 3, 2009

Aging ~ With Dignity.

I recently blogged about my dear friend's Mom, who was living at her home with her family... she passed away a few weeks ago, peacefully with her family at her side. Her Funeral Mass was a celebration of her full life, with a beautiful family and legacy to follow. None-the-less, she was still someones Mom, Grandma, etc... grieving is a natural process, necessary for heeling and moving on, of course never forgetting - celebrating this sweet elder woman who did not have a mean bone in her body was bitter/sweet.
Today I visited another dear friend's mom, who is in an Alzheimer's Home - she is someone I've known for over 30 years, the proud Mother of 6 wonderful children, many grandchildren, she was this sweet small woman with white hair that welcomed me with open arms whenever I saw her. I saw her a few days ago with her daughter, at first it set me back, she's of course aged, but she is in a wonderful home, a converted house for people suffering from this awful disease. The staff treated everyone with respect and kindness. I saw her daughter speak to her with, love, patience, and dignity. I'm sure she did not remember me, but that twinkle and laugh I remember her having was still there. I left with a heavy heart... we celebrate birth, we grieve death and try to find the balance. When I went back today, 2 days later, she seemed happy to see me, I'm still not convinced she knew who I was, but she took my hand and showed me around like I was her best friend... I said good-bye to her, that familiar soft kiss on the cheek and told her I'll be back... and I will.

Alzheimer’s disease is a brain disorder named for German physician Alois Alzheimer, who first described it in 1906.

1 comment:

preppyplayer said...

I like the new template! When should we meet?