Friday, February 13, 2009

Who invented the word "foodie"???

I love to cook. BUT...I do not consider myself a "foodie" (which I've been referred to frequently) ... who invented that word anyway? ~ it's just way too simple minded sounding. I find myself interested in every aspect of food... the menu.... where you bought it... how you cook it.... what cookbook it was in.... would you cook it again, etc... My sister and a very good friend said that I often come across "snooty"... and I was actually a little insulted - I guess when I'm at their homes for an event, or they bring something to my house I'll automatically ask "did you make that".... I don't find that insulting...they do! OH well...sorry - what I really want to know is ... it looks great - and if you did cook it.... "how did you make it".... this is because I'm interested - I'm NOT judging anyone who does not want to cook something and prefers to buy it...honestly, good for them - it makes their lives easier! Being married to an accomplished pastry chef who graduated first in his class from the CIA is wonderful.... and NO he does not cook at home - he's currently in a bakery all day, it's the LAST thing he wants to do. We love to dine...but we are realistic on where we go and what we expect. We love diners, and when at a diner expect "diner food". We also love fine restaurants and enjoy fun pubs...
Maybe I can blame the food network for my obsession with cooking... it's on 24/7 (well, that's not true, they are off the air at 4 AM until 7 AM)...
The title "foodie" is the new term for what people used to refer to as a "gourmet"... is to be interested in food as much as eating it. If we are interested in food, and love to go to a speciality shop for 1 ingredient or will experiment to make something "just a little better".... it's just what makes us tick! Don't confuse a food lover....or "foodie" as a snob who is judgemental. Now, to set the record straight... I drink a cup of instant coffee every morning... I hate to drag out my food processor or kitchen aid, I don't like recipes with more than 6-8 ingredients.... oh, and my husband and I both had gastric bypass.... so how can anyone call me a "foodie"... maybe I should stop talking so much about food....well that is until I get my "dream" job of working on the food network...for now working at Williams Sonoma will just have to satisfy that!

No comments: