Sunday, February 8, 2009

Bobby Flay and I have something in common!!!

One of my favorite shows to watch is the TV Food Network, I "secretly" want to be a star on that show... or maybe I just admire the chefs like they are bigger stars than they really are? I have my favorites - Ina Garten in "Barefoot Contessa" and Giada De Laurentis in "Every Day Italian" are my all time favorites.
But this morning, I realized that Bobby Flay and I had something in common... (imagine that). He talked about his first cooking memory....and it's mine as well:
Making chocolate pudding on top of the stove!
How fascinated I was when it began to "thicken" and make big fat bubbles.... how hard it was to have to put into the fridge and wait for it to cool... it was a "favorite" family desert. My one grandmother used to always have it ready for us when we went to visit her.
My love for cooking goes way back....and I can't say it was from spending hours in the kitchen with my mother or grandmothers, or any family members. You see, the Irish made sure you were well fed, and holidays were always special...but there are absolutely NO gourmet genes to be found. My one Uncle married someone very Italian, going to their house and having her sauce or as she would say "gravy" and eggplant was such a treat.
So.... back to the My*T*Fine Pudding... as it turns out, it's one of my son's favorite deserts as well, not the instant, the one that forms the skin on it. So just coming from the grocery store (a Sunday ritual).... I actually bought a few boxes (to have in my pantry) and it will still fascinate me when it starts to thicken....and it will still be hard to have to put it in the refrigerator and wait for it to cool.... now I just have to wait for my son to come home from college to cook it and enjoy it .... and well, that's another story - waiting for your kid to come home from college!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MY MOM IS A GOOD COOK BUT DOESN'T ENJOY IT. HER MOM WAS A GREAT COOK AND LOVED COOKING. I SPENT MANY MANY HOURS WITH HER IN THE KICHEN. SHE WOULD CALL ME AND SAY "I'M GOING TO MAKE ..... DO YOU WANT TO COME OVER? AND OVER I'D RUN. BACK TO THE PUDDING - I DON'T COOL IT ANMORE- JUST EAT IT HOT RIGHT OUT OF THE POT AFTER I POUR 2 SERVINGS FOR GLENN. MMMMMMM

Susan said...

It's DELICIOUS warm too....I HAVE to agree - I told my mom this story tonight and she said .... oh, and you all wanted to lick the pot too! Great to hear frm you!