Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer Solstice!


To some...summer is all downhill after June 21. June 21 is called the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere and simultaneously the winter solstice in the Southern Hemisphere. Last night, at 9 PM when it was just starting to become dusk, it reminded me of my childhood summers, when neighborhood kids were all out together every night and it seemed it never got dark. I've been told that I'm a little strange, because unlike most, I prefer the winter solstice when it is darkest on December, 21. I can't fully explain it, but there is something about the winter, dark nights and candles burning that make me feel very comforted in my home, best when everyone is home together (and that seems to be a myth now, nice to think about but in reality, a rarity). I was up and out this morning at 5:00 AM, it was starting to get light out... I do prefer light in the mornings though and find getting up at 6:30 AM when it's still dark to be difficult. Without the tilt of the earth's axis, we would have no seasons. I'm grateful for all of our seasons, I've always preferred winter, but the change is important... it's a good reason for my "weeds" to grow!
Enjoy these long summer evenings... summer is officially here - if only this summer the sun would finally appear and stay out!

No comments: