Monday, June 22, 2009

Rowing...Crew...My NEW Adventure!

A 2 man scull, under the Tappan Zee Bridge!

I'm a true novice. Rowing on a crew team is ALWAYS something I wanted to do... I feel so lucky to have found a club that will fit into my schedule... Weekdays, you have to be at the launch at 5:30 AM... we row until 7:00 AM... the other adults on the team also work... we're all "in the same boat together". The Hudson River is beautiful... but much larger than I expected...and wider. I found out that you don't have life jackets in the sculls... and they are very tippy... so the rule is you are to be a good enough swimmer to be able to swim to shore - in your clothes! It makes me pay attention...the thought of going in the water is horrifying... I'm shocked at how much concentration it takes - TRUE, team work.
I'm not going to say too much, as I'm famous for "good intentions" - but for now...and being sore from using muscles I never knew existed - I'm excited to be doing this...it's a sport I never had the opportunity to try and always admired. Having been "nursing" a herniated disc in my back is my only concern...but I won't know it until I give it a true "go"!
It's a beautiful and serene setting to be on the water so early...

2 comments:

preppyplayer said...

So cool! Good for you! it's good for the brain and the soul to experience new things.
Now you can check it off your list :)

Unknown said...

Mag fell in the Hudson today...