Friday, March 26, 2010

Easter = FAVORITE Carrot Cake Recipe!!


I've tried a few (actually, MANY) ...BUT this is my favorite Carrot Cake Recipe - courtesy of Silver Palate.  If you too like a moist, "heavy" carrot cake with coconut, pineapple and walnuts, then this is one for you!  Being Easter time, it's a GREAT reason (excuse) to make (and consume) this culinary extravaganza... to me anyway! 
So... I wanted to share - I had to go into my recipe bin to find this as I want to include all the ingredients in my next shopping trip.... I LOVE carrot cake, it was our wedding cake too...

Ingredients: 
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour


3 cups sugar (I use 2 1/2)

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking soda

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1-1⁄2 cups corn oil (I use canola)

4 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 tablespoon vanilla extract (use GOOD vanilla)
1-1/2 cups shelled walnuts, lightly chopped

1-1/2 cups shredded coconut

1-1/3 cups puréed cooked carrots (I use shredded)

3/4 cup drained crushed pineapple
Recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two 9-inch springform pans.
 Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the oil, eggs, and vanilla. Beat well. Fold in the walnuts, coconut, carrots, and pineapple.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Set on the center rack of the oven and bake until the edges have pulled away from the sides and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 minutes.
4. Cool on a cake rack for 3 hours. Fill and frost the cake with the cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting - Just use your favorite recipe (I'll admit, I've even used pre mixed in the can... but it's so easy to make w/ cream cheese too)
Happy Early Easter!  (a good excuse to eat Carrot Cake)!!!
If you have a "favorite" Carrot Cake Recipe... PLEASE share... a GREAT excuse to try another recipe!!!

No comments: