I'm posting the recipe... I've not tried it yet, but it's certainly on my short list
Greek Beet Salad with Skorthalia
- 2 pounds fresh red beets (about 8 to 9 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Remove leaves from beets, leaving about an inch of stem. Wash gently and place in a pot of cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until firm but cooked, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Drain the beets, cool under running cold water, and remove skin with fingers. Slice in half and then into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- Combine beets, garlic, lemon zest, thyme, oil and vinegar in a bowl and toss. Add onion and toss again. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve dolloped with skorthalia. Salad can be served immediately or marinated for 2 hours in refrigerator. It will keep about 3 days, refrigerated.